Kids of all ages will love this fun shirt featuring a chicken doing the Jingle Dress Dance. It’s one of the most respected dances amongst Native American cultures because of its healing power. The women who wear the Jingle Dress are believed to have the ability to heal themselves and others.
The Jingle Dress Dance stands out with its distinctive dance moves and the beautiful sounds that its dresses make because of the rows of metal cones attached to them. The dresses are traditional Native dresses that are given extra pizzazz for the dance. Using these traditional dresses and making such a loud sound while dancing was an act of rebellion for women in the early 1900s when Native American dances were illegal in the U.S.
The Jingle Dance is most common in indigenous communities in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Ontario because it was created by the Ojibwe people of the Great Lakes area. However, the popularity of the powerful dance has grown immensely in the past century. It is now a favorite at Native American dance competitions within powwows.
The Jingle Dress Dance is commonly portrayed in the media and pop culture today. Now, you and your child will be able to identify this important dance if you see it in movies, on the news, or on social media. And we hope that this Jingle Dress Dancer shirt brings good health to your child just as the Jingle Dress does for Native women.
• 100% combed and ring-spun cotton (Heather colors contain polyester)
• Ash color is 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Heather colors are 52% combed and ring-spun cotton, 48% polyester
• Athletic and Black Heather are 90% combed and ring-spun cotton, 10% polyester
• Heather Prism colors are 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Fabric weight: 4.2 oz (142 g/m2)
• Pre-shrunk fabric
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping