Buffalo Fierce - Adult (Unisex)
The buffalo (American Bison) is a well-known symbol of Native American peoples from the plains of the U.S. The buffalo has historically been an extremely important animal to the tribes of the Plains. It was their most valuable natural resource.
They used almost every part of the buffalo. The skin of the animal was used to make clothes and tipis, and the bones and horns were used to make tools. Even the buffalo poop was used as fuel for stoves. Native peoples did not see the buffalo as existing to serve them. Instead, they respected the buffalo for its important role in their lives.
In some ways, the buffalo is also a symbol for the western U.S. However, in the late 1800s, they almost went extinct! This is because the U.S. government tried to kill all the buffalo to force Native people to move on to reservations. Now, the buffalo population in the U.S. is stable, and they are no longer endangered. Today, people can visit many parks throughout the western U.S. to enjoy seeing buffalo graze in their natural habitat.
History is not always pretty, and the history of the buffalo in the U.S. has been a rocky one. It can be hard to talk to your kids about the ugly parts of history, but it’s important to face these parts, acknowledge them, and learn from them. Use this t-shirt as an opportunity to teach young people the full history of the American buffalo.
• 100% combed and ring-spun cotton (Heather colors contain polyester)
• Ash color is 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Heather colors are 52% combed and ring-spun cotton, 48% polyester
• Athletic and Black Heather are 90% combed and ring-spun cotton, 10% polyester
• Heather Prism colors are 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Fabric weight: 4.2 oz (142 g/m2)
• Pre-shrunk fabric
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping