This cute fox is our take of the contemporary Fancy Shawl Dance. The fox has adorned a Fancy Shawl dress and a feather headband.
The Fancy Shawl is the newest type of Native American dance. The dance is named after the decorative shawl that the dancer wears over her shoulders. The shawls often have extravagant designs and include long fringe on the bottom. The way the dancers move with the shawl mimics the movement of a butterfly.
The dance is graceful and light like a butterfly fluttering through a meadow or a fox gliding across the forest floor. It’s also a fast-paced dance that’s fun and meant to provide entertainment. It was originally used as a performance for non-Native tourists during a time when traditional tribal dances were illegal in the U.S., but it’s now popular in competitions within powwows.
This Fancy Shawl Dancer shirt is great for young people who are interested in learning more about Native American dance. The story of the Fancy Shawl Dance reminds us that all cultures are complex and changing throughout time. While some Native American dances have long histories and hold deep cultural significance, the Fancy Shawl Dance is actually a result of Native Americans interacting with other cultures in modern times.
• 100% combed and ring-spun cotton (Heather colors contain polyester)
• Ash color is 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Heather colors are 52% combed and ring-spun cotton, 48% polyester
• Athletic and Black Heather are 90% combed and ring-spun cotton, 10% polyester
• Heather Prism colors are 99% combed and ring-spun cotton, 1% polyester
• Fabric weight: 4.2 oz (142 g/m2)
• Pre-shrunk fabric
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping